Getting Married in Australia

Meaghan Gale – Marriage Celebrant Perth


You’re now on an exciting voyage towards your wedding day and I’m delighted you have found your way to my website. In my role as a Marriage Celebrant, I will work closely with you to provide a ceremony that is a true reflection of your personal, cultural and spiritual beliefs and one that gives you freedom of choice with both content and format. Remember, this is your day, so it is important to plan the ceremony the way you would like your special occasion to be celebrated. We will work through the legal requirements together and you will be surprised how incredibly easy it is.

Same Sex and LGBT Marriages

I am proud to say that in Dec 2017 Same-Sex marriage was legalised in Australia. I believe ‘Love is Love’ and it is wonderful to be able to celebrate that with everyone.


In preparation for a marriage ceremony there are several forms which must be completed. Firstly, the NOIM (Notice of Intended Marriage), must be completed and lodged with your intended Marriage Celebrant at least one month before the marriage. In order to complete this form I will need to see your passport, or your original birth certificate and a current driver’s licence. In the case of a previous marriage I also need to see either the original Certificate of Divorce, Death Certificate or Annulment. (There may be cases where additional documentation must also be presented.)
I will help you complete the NOIM and explain all other documentation to you so you feel relaxed and ready for your big day. I will also attend to the lodgement of all documentation with the Registrar of Births, Deaths & Marriages following the marriage ceremony.

Under exceptional circumstances the notice period for marriage can be less than one month. Only prescribed authorities, usually local court or registry officials, may grant approval on medical, religious, travel or legal grounds. Documentation that supports the request should be gathered prior to approaching a prescribed authority.

Celebrants Code of Practice

As a Commonwealth Registered Civil Celebrant I am happy to be bound by the Code of Practice for Marriage Celebrants issued by the Australian Attorney General’s Office.

Relationship Education

As a part of my legal obligations to you under the Marriage Act of 1961, I am required to provide you with information on pre-marriage and other relationship services. The Attorney General’s Office feels this plays an important role in developing longer lasting family relationships and stronger communities within Australia. Their information brochure ‘Happily Ever Before and After’ will be presented to you at our first meeting. Please take the time to read through it, it’s quite informative!

“M and I did a course with Relationships Australia called Together Forever. It was $160 and was held over a Friday/Saturday/Sunday for about 3 hours each day. I would highly recommend it, we were both really happy with the content and outcomes.”

J & M. (Feb 2016)

Happily Before Ever After

I might add, these courses aim to help couples identify and develop the strengths of their relationship, and to recognise strategies that will help them avoid potential problems. They are well worth your consideration and can be done even after you are married. The courses do not aim to tell you whether you are ‘right for each other’.

Please follow these links to find courses offered locally.

Weddings for Overseas Visitors

What could be more magical than traveling overseas to a beautiful location to exchange your wedding vows? Australia is a great destination, and in particular Western Australia, as we have many beautiful beaches, exotic locations and excellent weather.

Australia has no residency requirements for marriage. Foreigners can marry as soon as they arrive provided they have completed the Notice of Intended Marriage and lodged it with their intended Marriage Celebrant. It can be completed, signed and witnessed before arriving in Australia, (see list of recognised witnesses) and must then be sent to your celebrant at least one month before the wedding day. This can be done by email or fax. This document is valid for 18 months. You must also be free to marry and will be required to provide proof of dissolution of any previous marriage. You will also be required to sign a document stating that there is no legal impediment to the marriage, before the wedding ceremony can take place. A couple intending to marry in Australia must be over the age of 18. One of the couple can be aged between 16 and 18, but in this case parental permission and a court order are required.

You can find out more about the Legal Requirements (link to: by visiting the Attorney General’s page.

Civil and religious marriages are both legally binding in Australia and can take place in any location. Australian marriages are widely recognised by other countries. If in doubt about the legality in a particular country, check with the relevant embassy or consulate. Some European countries require an Apostille Stamp on the marriage certificate to authenticate it for registration in their home country.

 Information on Apostille Stamps can be found on the Australian government Smart Traveller website: Click here

To find out more and make your booking, click through to my contact form.

Documents Required

The following documents are required by both parties:

 A valid passport.


 An original birth certificate and Drivers Licence

 Adoption certificate, if applicable

 Change of name documentation, if applicable

If either party has been married before they will also need:

 A death certificate in the case of widowhood or a decree absolute if they have been divorced

 Documentary evidence of the annulment of a previous marriage

ALL documents must be in English or have an official (NAATI) translation into English. In Australia this can only be done by someone registered with the National Accreditation Authority for Translators.